Friday, November 14, 2008

Do you like your name?

As a youngster, I remember secretly feeling awkward about my first name. I was, after all, from a generation that predominantly thought Christine, Jeanette, Sheila and other pleasant-sounding names were trendy. I felt that my name just emanated too much of the “mature and stiff” impression that I did not fancy (and found advantageous) then as a young individual.

There had also been occasions when I felt uncomfortable being associated with my namesake, the renowned Filipino artist Ms. Armida Siguion-Reyna. In college, I had to constantly remind new acquaintances that I was not as serious and as tough (no offense meant to the respected Ms. Siguion-Reyna) as my name seemed to portray.

This conjured up austere image was heightened even more when I got myself employed in a center advocating reproductive health and rights. One friend then began branding me a “feminist” and boldly declaring my name suitable to my job! Of course, I considered the classification a compliment. However, I could not also honestly hide my worry then that my name had somehow created a stern image threatening potential boyfriends at that time!

Even if it is a bit of a let down that my name is not even listed in any dictionary of first names, I have never really considered changing it.

I did however toy before with the idea of adding a second name so I can be Armida Maria! I think, the name “Maria” will be able to neutralize the tough image that my original name conveys. Plus, I have always liked how the combination sounds. Don’t you agree?

2 comments:

  1. I like my name as it denotes redemption of the spirit at the end of a long and atrociously dogmatic (or dogmatically atrocious) journey. I am Daxi Weida. Google me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swang, how about the name you were baptized with? ;p

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi! I am known by many names. I have however, at last decided on calling myself in here as "Hooked" (after changing my aliases so many times already). I am a mom living in General Santos City, Philippines with my husband and daughter. I have created (and re-created) this blog to fully substantiate my existence in the world wide web.